6tunnel - tunnelling for application that don't speak IPv6
] [ -u username
] [ -i
] [ -I password
] [ -l local_host
] [ -L limit
] [ -p pid_file
] [ -m
] local_port remote_host
allows you to use services provided by IPv6 hosts with IPv4-only
applications and vice-versa. It can bind to any of your IPv4 (default) or IPv6
addresses and forward all data to IPv4 or IPv6 (default) host. For example
- 6tunnel -1 6668 irc6.net 6667
will be enough to connect to IPv6 irc server with
- irc foobar localhost:6668
If you don't wish to run 6tunnel
every time you want to show your :c001:
or :dead: IPv6 address on IRC, you can use -i
parameter, which makes
ask your client for specified password. Just run
- 6tunnel -i dupa.8 31337 irc6.net 6667
and then type
- irc foobar localhost:31337:dupa.8
If your IRC server requires you to send password, specify it with -I
parameter -- after successful proxy authentication 6tunnel
will send it
to the server.
can also be used as a tunnel for all other combinations of IPv4
and IPv6 endpoints. If remote host doesn't have any IPv6 addresses,
will use the IPv4 one. In other cases, use -4
which makes IPv4 address the preferred one. For IPv6-to-any tunnels use
which makes 6tunnel
bind to IPv6 address.
- Exit after first connection.
- Prefer IPv4 endpoint if the machine has both address
- Listen on IPv6 address (IPv4 is default).
- Don't detach.
- Force tunneling even if remote host is not resolvable at
the execution time.
- Print hex dump of every packet received or sent.
- -u username
- Change UID and GID after bind().
- -i password
- Act as an IRC proxy and require user to authenticate.
- -I password
- If you are using 6tunnel as an IRC proxy and the IRC
server requires you to send password, place it right here.
- -l local_host
- Listen on specified address (IPv4, or IPv6 if -6
- -L limit
- Limit simultaneous connections.
- -p pid_file
- Write down pid to specified file.
- -s source_host
- Connect to the remote host using specified source
- -m map_file
- Binds to specified IPv6 addresses on basis of source IPv4
address. The file contains one mapping per line with IPv4 source address
and corresponding IPv6 address. Only listed hosts are allowed to connect.
If you want to allow any host, add mapping for default or
0.0.0.0 address. Example:
- Be verbose and don't detach.
to disable all resolver hints has been removed since proper
combination of -4
will yield in any combination of IPv4
and IPv6 sources and destinations.
Sending SIGHUP forces map file reload.
#ipv6 crew, Lam.
Terrible man page. Hex dump doesn't include IRC proxy authentication. IRC proxy
requires your client to send password first (don't worry ircii, EPIC, BitchX,
mIRC and many more will work). No logging except debug output.
Wojtek Kaniewski (firstname.lastname@example.org), Dariusz Jackowski (email@example.com),
Ramunas Lukosevicus (firstname.lastname@example.org), Roland Stigge (email@example.com)