anemotaxis - directional search on a plane.
] [-visual visual
[-window] [-root] [-delay number
] [-distance number
] [-searchers number
The program demonstrates a search algorithm designed for locating a source of
odor in turbulent atmosphere. The odor is convected by wind which has a
constant mean direction and fluctuations around it. The searcher is able to
sense the odor and determine local instantaneous wind direction. The goal is
to find the source in the shortest mean time. Some animals face this task to
find mates, food, home etc. They exhibit very particular, zigzagging search
This is modeled as a search on a discrete two-dimensional lattice. The source
releases particles that drift with constant velocity in one direction and walk
randomly in the other direction. The searcher knows if it hit a particle, and
if so, particle's position one time step earlier (local wind direction). The
program paints sources and particles released by them as well as trajectories
of searchers who are trying to capture the sources.
- -visual visual
- Specify which visual to use. Legal values are the name of a
visual class, or the id number (decimal or hex) of a specific visual.
- Draw on a newly-created window. This is the default.
- Draw on the root window.
- -delay number
- Per-frame delay, in microseconds. Default: 20000 (0.02
- -distance number
- Max initial distance to the source . 10 - 250. Default:
- -sources number
- Max number of sources. Default: 25.
- -searchers number
- Max number of searchers. Default: 25.
- Display the current frame rate and CPU load.
- to get the default host and display number.
- to get the name of a resource file that overrides the
global resources stored in the RESOURCE_MANAGER property.
Copyright © 2004 by Eugene Balkovsky. Permission to use, copy, modify,
distribute, and sell this software and its documentation for any purpose is
hereby granted without fee, provided that the above copyright notice appear in
all copies and that both that copyright notice and this permission notice
appear in supporting documentation. No representations are made about the
suitability of this software for any purpose. It is provided "as is"
without express or implied warranty.