- Print out a usage message.
- Specifies name of a supported digest to be used. To see the list of supported digests, use the command list --digest-commands.
- Print out the digest in two digit groups separated by colons, only relevant if hex format output is used.
- Print out BIO debugging information.
- Digest is to be output as a hex dump. This is the default case for a "normal" digest as opposed to a digital signature. See NOTES below for digital signatures using -hex.
- Output the digest or signature in binary form.
- Output the digest in the "coreutils" format used by programs like sha1sum.
- -out filename
- Filename to output to, or standard output by default.
- -sign filename
- Digitally sign the digest using the private key in "filename".
- -keyform arg
- Specifies the key format to sign digest with. The DER, PEM, P12, and ENGINE formats are supported.
- -sigopt nm:v
- Pass options to the signature algorithm during sign or verify operations. Names and values of these options are algorithm-specific.
- -passin arg
- The private key password source. For more information about the format of arg see the PASS PHRASE ARGUMENTS section in openssl(1).
- -verify filename
- Verify the signature using the public key in "filename". The output is either "Verification OK" or "Verification Failure".
- -prverify filename
- Verify the signature using the private key in "filename".
- -signature filename
- The actual signature to verify.
- -hmac key
- Create a hashed MAC using "key".
- -mac alg
- Create MAC (keyed Message Authentication Code). The most popular MAC algorithm is HMAC (hash-based MAC), but there are other MAC algorithms which are not based on hash, for instance gost-mac algorithm, supported by ccgost engine. MAC keys and other options should be set via -macopt parameter.
- -macopt nm:v
- Passes options to MAC algorithm, specified by -mac key. Following options are supported by both by HMAC and gost-mac:
- Specifies MAC key as alphanumeric string (use if key contain printable characters only). String length must conform to any restrictions of the MAC algorithm for example exactly 32 chars for gost-mac.
- Specifies MAC key in hexadecimal form (two hex digits per byte). Key length must conform to any restrictions of the MAC algorithm for example exactly 32 chars for gost-mac.
- -rand file(s)
- A file or files containing random data used to seed the random number generator, or an EGD socket (see RAND_egd(3)). Multiple files can be specified separated by an OS-dependent character. The separator is ; for MS-Windows, , for OpenVMS, and : for all others.
- Compute HMAC using a specific key for certain OpenSSL-FIPS operations.
- -engine id
- Use engine id for operations (including private key storage). This engine is not used as source for digest algorithms, unless it is also specified in the configuration file or -engine_impl is also specified.
- When used with the -engine option, it specifies to also use engine id for digest operations.
- File or files to digest. If no files are specified then standard input is used.
openssl dgst -md5 -hex file.txt To sign a file using SHA-256 with binary file output:
openssl dgst -sha256 -sign privatekey.pem -out signature.sign file.txt To verify a signature:
openssl dgst -sha256 -verify publickey.pem \
-signature signature.sign \