If file is not specified, the file /usr/share/dict/words is used, only alphanumeric characters are compared and the case of alphabetic characters is ignored.
- -a, --alternative
- Use the alternative dictionary file.
- -d, --alphanum
- Use normal dictionary character set and order, i.e. only blanks and
alphanumeric characters are compared. This is on by default if no file is
Note that blanks have been added to dictionary character set for compatibility with sort -d command since version 2.28.
- -f, --ignore-case
- Ignore the case of alphabetic characters. This is on by default if no file is specified.
- -t, --terminate character
- Specify a string termination character, i.e. only the characters in string up to and including the first occurrence of character are compared.
- -V, --version
- Display version information and exit.
- -h, --help
- Display help text and exit.
The look utility exits 0 if one or more lines were found and displayed, 1 if no lines were found, and >1 if an error occurred.
sort -d /etc/passwd -o /tmp/look.dict look -t: root:foobar /tmp/look.dict
- Path to a dictionary file. The environment variable has greater priority than the dictionary path defined in FILES segment.
- the dictionary
- the alternative dictionary