pidof -- find the process ID of a running program.
] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]..
finds the process id's (pids) of the named programs. It prints
those id's on the standard output.
- Single shot - this instructs the program to only return one
- Only return process ids that are running with the same root
directory. This option is ignored for non-root users, as they will be
unable to check the current root directory of processes they do not
- Scripts too - this causes the program to also return
process id's of shells running the named scripts.
- -o omitpid
- Tells pidof to omit processes with that process id.
The special pid %PPID can be used to name the parent process of the
pidof program, in other words the calling shell or shell
- At least one program was found with the requested
- No program was found with the requested name.
Jaromir Capik <email@example.com>