dumpe2fs - dump ext2/ext3/ext4 filesystem information
dumpe2fs [ -bfghixV ] [ -o superblock=superblock
] [ -o blocksize=blocksize ] device
dumpe2fs prints the super block and blocks group information for the
filesystem present on device.
Note: When used with a mounted filesystem, the printed
information may be old or inconsistent.
dumpe2fs exits with a return code of 0 if the operation completed without
errors. It will exit with a non-zero return code if there are any errors, such
as problems reading a valid superblock, bad checksums, or if the device is in
use by another node and -m is specified.
You may need to know the physical filesystem structure to understand the output.
dumpe2fs was written by Remy Card <Remy.Card@linux.org>. It is
currently being maintained by Theodore Ts'o <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
dumpe2fs is part of the e2fsprogs package and is available from
- print the blocks which are reserved as bad in the filesystem.
- -o superblock=superblock
- use the block superblock when examining the filesystem. This option
is not usually needed except by a filesystem wizard who is examining the
remains of a very badly corrupted filesystem.
- -o blocksize=blocksize
- use blocks of blocksize bytes when examining the filesystem. This
option is not usually needed except by a filesystem wizard who is
examining the remains of a very badly corrupted filesystem.
- force dumpe2fs to display a filesystem even though it may have some
filesystem feature flags which dumpe2fs may not understand (and which can
cause some of dumpe2fs's display to be suspect).
- display the group descriptor information in a machine readable
colon-separated value format. The fields displayed are the group number;
the number of the first block in the group; the superblock location (or -1
if not present); the range of blocks used by the group descriptors (or -1
if not present); the block bitmap location; the inode bitmap location; and
the range of blocks used by the inode table.
- only display the superblock information and not any of the block group
descriptor detail information.
- display the filesystem data from an image file created by e2image,
using device as the pathname to the image file.
- If the mmp feature is enabled on the filesystem, check if
device is in use by another node, see e2mmpstatus(8) for
full details. If used together with the -i option, only the MMP
block information is printed.
- print the detailed group information block numbers in hexadecimal
- print the version number of dumpe2fs and exit.