- display this help and exit
- output version information and exit
FORMAT controls the output as in C printf. Interpreted sequences are:
- double quote
- alert (BEL)
- produce no further output
- form feed
- new line
- carriage return
- horizontal tab
- vertical tab
- byte with octal value NNN (1 to 3 digits)
- byte with hexadecimal value HH (1 to 2 digits)
- Unicode (ISO/IEC 10646) character with hex value HHHH (4 digits)
- Unicode character with hex value HHHHHHHH (8 digits)
- a single %
- ARGUMENT as a string with '\' escapes interpreted, except that octal escapes are of the form \0 or \0NNN
- ARGUMENT is printed in a format that can be reused as shell input, escaping non-printable characters with the proposed POSIX $'' syntax.
and all C format specifications ending with one of diouxXfeEgGcs, with ARGUMENTs converted to proper type first. Variable widths are handled.
NOTE: your shell may have its own version of printf, which usually supersedes the version described here. Please refer to your shell's documentation for details about the options it supports.
Report any translation bugs to <https://translationproject.org/team/>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
or available locally via: info '(coreutils) printf invocation'
|March 2019||GNU coreutils 8.31|