|updatedb(8)||System Manager's Manual||updatedb(8)|
updatedb is usually run daily by cron(8) to update the default database.
- -f, --add-prunefs FS
- Add entries in white-space-separated list FS to PRUNEFS.
- -n, --add-prunenames NAMES
- Add entries in white-space-separated list NAMES to PRUNENAMES.
- -e, --add-prunepaths PATHS
- Add entries in white-space-separated list PATHS to PRUNEPATHS.
- -U, --database-root PATH
- Store only results of scanning the file system subtree rooted at
PATH to the generated database. The whole file system is scanned by
locate(1) outputs entries as absolute path names which don't contain symbolic links, regardless of the form of PATH.
- Write debugging information about pruning decisions to standard error output.
- -h, --help
- Write a summary of the available options to standard output and exit successfully.
- -o, --output FILE
- Write the database to FILE instead of using the default database.
- --prune-bind-mounts FLAG
- Set PRUNE_BIND_MOUNTS to FLAG, overriding the configuration file.
- --prunefs FS
- Set PRUNEFS to FS, overriding the configuration file.
- --prunenames NAMES
- Set PRUNENAMES to NAMES, overriding the configuration file.
- --prunepaths PATHS
- Set PRUNEPATHS to PATHS, overriding the configuration file.
- -l, --require-visibility FLAG
- Set the “require file visibility before reporting it” flag
in the generated database to FLAG.
If FLAG is 0 or no, or if the database file is readable by "others" or it is not owned by locate, locate(1) outputs the database entries even if the user running locate(1) could not have read the directory necessary to find out the file described by the database entry.
If FLAG is 1 or yes (the default), locate(1) checks the permissions of parent directories of each entry before reporting it to the invoking user. To make the file existence truly hidden from other users, the database group is set to locate and the database permissions prohibit reading the database by users using other means than locate(1), which is set-gid locate.
Note that the visibility flag is checked only if the database is owned by locate and it is not readable by "others".
- -v, --verbose
- Output path names of files to standard output, as soon as they are found.
- -V, --version
- Write information about the version and license of locate on standard output and exit successfully.
- A configuration file. See updatedb.conf(5).
- The database updated by default.